Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Queen of Burlesque



I'm sitting here drinking a lovely glass of sauvignon blanc and listening to the soothing and sexy sounds of David Rose and his orchestra. No doubt Dita Von Teese knows these tracks backwards and sideways and has most likely practiced her glam burlesque act to this same soundtrack. What some folks would call trashy tartiness, I call the art of an enchantress.

Dita has revived burlesque for my generation with her glamorous vintage act. Watching her is like observing a a work of art in delicate motion. An art that I myself would love to learn. It's an empowering spectacle for myself, a young woman.

Dita is not the first burlesque entertainer, nor will she be the last. Once upon a time there was Gypsy Lee Rose, Lili St. Cyr, and one of my favorites, Sally Rand who used gorgeous feather fans (works of art in themselves), and a gigantic balloon for her act. Youthquakers it is grand and simply beautiful.

I'm elated that burlesque hasn't faded into darkness. It's really a wonderful, aesthetic display, and though Von Teese shows a bit more skin than the more modest acts of the past, she remains a classy and entertaining original, sure to go down in history amongst the best.

So my music is still going, the wine still flowing and my hips are inevitably starting to sway. I am determined to unleash my inner Dita, my inner sexiness and innocence, my womanhood.

Thanks girls for the confident push xoxo

And here are some words from the Teese herself....

"I`ve been called anti-feminist before and it makes me really mad. I don`t do my job for men, I do it because I love the make-up, the costumes and the history of showgirls."

"When things get you down, make the best of your own life rather than worrying about what everyone else thinks."

"When sexuality, style, humor and playfulness all come together, along with a bit of innocence, well, that’s when a burlesque show becomes great."

"I advocate glamour. Every day. Every minute."

"It`s not about seducing men, it"s about embracing womanhood."

"I love it when you can go about your daily business with the knowledge that you have a little secret of your own on underneath."


"Basically, I'm the girl that your mother warned you about."

Enough said Dita....and now,

Sally Rand takes over below..brilliant and a half

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers